Industry Insights / 27th Jan 2020

4 big recruitment challenges facing employers and some workable solutions

  • Awkward application procedures

The beginning of the year  is the hottest time for job hunting – job-related internet searches are up and people are looking to make changes in the new year. Whilst the this brings new talent out of the woodwork, employers still face challenges to close the deal on a new recruit. As an employer you need to have solid strategies in place to counter these…

It is often thought recruiters put potential employees through long and tedious application processes. Time is perceived as the one thing everyone has less of now and coupled with the ultra-connected world we live in; no wonder job seekers frequently abandon long drawn-out processes. Recruiters therefore lose talent before they have even interviewed. Employers who realise the job market belongs to the candidate can create a more customised, simple, candidate-friendly process. Providing a positive candidate experience through the recruitment process greatly improves an employer’s chance of securing who they want. Simply communicating status updates regularly to candidates is a great place to start.

  • Inability to stick to deadlines

There is a balance between finding candidate quality and having the time to hire. Recruiters who fail to give enough time to hiring often end up in the recruitment process for much longer. Of course, employers want to bring the best talent onboard which does take time, but to accelerate this try streamlining the process. Employers need to set out clear date deadlines for each step from the start and stick to them, and consider using a recruitment specialist to help attract talent.

  • Reaching new candidates

According to LinkedIn’s research70% of the global workforce is made up of passive talent who aren’t actively job searching and the remaining 30% are active job seekers. Therefore, it is most likely an employer’s next hire does not even know they are looking to change jobs. How do employers target and engage these passive candidates? The good news is that most (up to 90%) of these passive candidates are interested in hearing about new job opportunities, as reported by LinkedIn. These candidates are not necessarily going to be on the job sites – but they will be on social media, especially graduates. Engagement with active and passive candidates is necessary on all social platforms – employers need to promote their brand not just by posting job adverts, but sharing news, photos and videos about the company and how it is a great place to work. Candidate reach can be expanded if a company has a multichannel online and offline strategy. Why not talk to Talent Search about how we can help with this?

  • Disjoint between the recruitment team and hiring manager

The approach between the recruitment team and the hiring manager needs to be cohesive otherwise recruiting may become a much longer process. With an uncollaborative approach recruiters are not able to identify the right person for a job and  may not be advertising for the role in the right areas. A drawn-out process is costly, and the wrong candidate may even be hired.

All these challenges can be easily overcome through using a specialist recruitment agency. An agency has the time, knowledge and resources to find the strategy that works for each employer and candidate. The agency will save time and has access to many more and more qualified candidates along with specific market knowledge. If you’ve been nodding in agreement to the issues outlined above, they could vanish with the help of Talent Search. Get in touch to discuss your recruitment requirements.

Explore Talent Search

Submit Your CV